As the only Canadian developer entrusted with Nintendo IP, Next Level Games is best known for its work on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Strikers Charged and most recently, Metroid Prime: Federation Force.
Since the company’s inception in 2002, Next Level Games has been a leading small employer and pioneer in setting best practices for desirable workplaces in the gaming industry. Our company has been recognized over the years for our studio culture by organizations including BC Business Magazine, WorkLife BC, Canada's Top 100 Employers, and BC’s Top Employers.
We are currently seeking a Technical Artist who is eager to join our team.
- Consult with Level and Game Designers to establish the overall look, graphic elements and gameplay in order to meet the design needs
- Determine the tools and techniques best suited to produce the desired gameplay result
- Develop the graphic and dynamic game elements that meet the Designers objectives
- Estimate implementation and time costs to complete desired visual and gameplay design
- Use concept art to guide the visual and design requirements of the element being implemented
- Establish guidelines and procedures for Artists to create additional assets that fit the design categories
- Co-ordinate with Producers, Level Designers, Artists and Software Engineers during the production of dynamic elements that are integrated into the game engine
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment that include Programmers, Artists, Designers and Producers.
- 3+ years experience in videos games - at least one shipped game
- Strong understanding of art pipeline, processes, and 3D graphics software expertise (3D Studio Max preferred; Maya acceptable)
- A university degree in visual arts or game design - Completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts or game design is required.
- Experience or training in graphic art or game design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
- In addition to the arts, training in computer engineering is helpful
- Thorough knowledge of scripting language or programming
- Good understanding of game design and gameplay
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines
- Basic Understanding of Scripting (Maxscript/Python, Mel). Preferably MaxScript
- Prior experience creating complex Custom Rigs and Deformations, preferably in 3DSMax
We wish to thank all applicants in advance; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.