As the only Canadian developer entrusted with Nintendo IP, Next Level Games is best known for its work on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Strikers Charged and most recently, Metroid Prime: Federation Force.
Since the company’s inception in 2002, Next Level Games has been a leading small employer and pioneer in setting best practices for desirable workplaces in the gaming industry. Our company has been recognized over the years for our studio culture by organizations including BC Business Magazine, WorkLife BC, Canada's Top 100 Employers, and BC’s Top Employers.
We are currently seeking an exceptional candidate for a Special Effects Artist position who is eager to be part of our team. Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process.
- Collaborate with the Art Director and other art team members to develop effects that fulfill the art vision for the project
- Create benchmark effects and assets that are game engine compliant
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative game production technologies and the capabilities/limitations of these technologies as they relate to the project goals
- Test and proactively troubleshoot areas that are not working in the game engine and help to fix them
- Understanding gameplay requirements and supporting with visual effects
- 3+ years video game experience – at least one shipped game in the role of Special Effects Artist
- A strong portfolio of in-game FX artwork
- Ability to model, texture and animate in 3D Max
- Ability to ramp up quickly on proprietary software
- Working knowledge of particle effects – examples required
- Solid understanding of modeling and FX requirements for video games
- Basic knowledge of visual storytelling
- Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to schedule and manage multiple priorities
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team/department performance
- Scripting knowledge is a plus
We wish to thank all applicants in advance; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.